Friday, May 20, 2011

What I've Learned in NYC in 1 Week

Yes, I am finally in New York! We just settled in to our lovely apartment in Brooklyn, and I started my internship on Monday. I'll only be working Tuesday through Thursdays, so that leaves me some time to blog for BeYOUty Queen! :)

By the way, GO FOLLOW MY OTHER BLOG! It's a blog on the world's top 50 women models, a little bit about them, where you may have seen them, and how to get a look of theirs from the street, an editorial, or cover! I'm going to be doing them hopefully once a day, so please check it out and follow it!

Anyways, onto the purpose of this blog. The things I have learned in just one week of living in the city. I've obviously learned more things, but these are the good ones. :)


  • There is no such thing as "pitch black." Even when it's 1am and you're in bed with the doors shut and blinds down.
  • Even outside of the city, if you expect a quiet life, dream on.
  • If you just act like you know what you're doing and where you're going, others will think you do.
  • Walk straight, look forward, and act like you don't even speak English (or whatever language they're speaking) when a man says "Hey baby, *kiss kiss*" or in one case of mine "Ooh, bonita, bonita."
  • If you're not reading a book, doing a crossword or sudoku puzzle, or jamming to an iPod you are totally screwed and an outcast on the subway.
  • Sometimes, you have to do what's best for you and ignore those who will be upset with you.
  • Especially in the PR world, research is a must. This has been shoved down my throat since I started my PR classes, but it is becoming more and more relevant.
  • The people here really aren't that bad. In fact, I've come across some really nice and helpful people so far.
  • Despite what I've seen in movies, there is no cell phone service underground. Duh, Sam. Duh.
  • Pigeons are probably the ugliest, stupidest, most annoying creatures to ever exist. Especially when they roost in the roof right next to your upstairs bedroom.
  • I have fantastic parents and in-laws.
  • Public restrooms are extremely hard to find.
  • Kosher food is when they separate dairy from meat. And Kosher ice cream is THE BOMB.
  • You can't always trust the pretzels from the street vendors to be fresh.
  • This is a fantastic place to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment